This project is read-only.

Invalid Private Key, NEED HELP

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I am getting an Invalid Private Key error when I try to use the key to login to a ftp server.  To give you some detail, this is a PuTTY-User-Key-File-2: ssh-rsa with no encryption.  What do I do to make this work?  How do I fix this problem?

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Any updates or suggestions?  Shall I show teh private key file?  Anything, any comment, a blub, whatever will help please!

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If you try to use the file generated by putty as it is then it will not work since its not in OpenSSH format.

You can search this forum for an example of how key should look like or generate it on your linux box.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Oleg

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM

So what format should it be?  Please be specific, I need to have a solution today.

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

To answer quickly,

There are a lot of examples of what private key should look like, with example and how to generate it on this forum,

Simple search for Private key.

Thanks,

Oleg

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately this format is quite popular. We can't afford not supporting clients using it. For now used keys are converted, but that's not a long term solution. So, do you plan to implement support for putty-like keys in near future?

Greets

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Well,

May be in the future, if there will be demand for it, meanwhile, can you log it as an issue, so this way when I have some free time I could work on it.

Thanks,

Oleg

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Please note that you can use puttygen.exe to convert to OpenSSH format.