InternalFileDownload output Stream is not properly closed?

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

if the download is completed it seems that the output Stream (Destination Stream) still opened.

I guess to correct this, just need to put one more Line to the Code!

private void InternalFileDownload(ChannelSession channel, Stream input, Stream output, string filename, long length)
{
            var buffer = new byte[Math.Min(length, this.BufferSize)];
            var needToRead = length;

do
            {
                var read = input.Read(buffer, 0, (int)Math.Min(needToRead, this.BufferSize));

output.Write(buffer, 0, read);

this.RaiseDownloadingEvent(filename, length, length - needToRead);

needToRead -= read;
            }
            while (needToRead > 0);

output.Flush();

output.Close();

//  Raise one more time when file downloaded
            this.RaiseDownloadingEvent(filename, length, length - needToRead);

//  Send confirmation byte after last data byte was read
            this.SendConfirmation(channel);

this.CheckReturnCode(input);
}

I wrote a test routine that downlaod over and over the same files... (112 of the same files). After the first loop an IO Exception pop out of the debugger. If I close the Stream, it appear to clean up the read/write rights for the file, else it continue to stay locked! Maybe it better to make a dispose on the stream itself!

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Hi,

Actually its not a good practice to close or dispose of a stream that you created.

Since stream is passed as a parameter, its up to the caller to create and dispose of the stream.

Microsoft actually have bug in one of the functions where they except stream as a parameter then internally dispose it and then when caller tries to dispose it again, it throws an exception that object been already disposed.

Thanks,

Oleg