Proposal: Switching to GIT?

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Hi,

Just a proposal for the dev environment.
It would be awesome if the repository can be moved to git.

I tried the tools git-svn and svn2git, but both failed to transform the repo.
Apperantly cause codeplex is not using a 100% standard svn.

Why git? It's easier to fork the project and propose/maintain local patches.

btw. Why can't I fork the project on codeplex?

Greetz
Apr 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Just in case anybody else wants to export the repository from svn to git:

git svn clone --no-metadata https://sshnet.svn.codeplex.com/svn/ ssh.net --revision 9489:35331

I skip all commits previous to 9489 cause there is an error (maybe a broken commit?) at revision 9486.
Apr 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM
da_rinkes wrote:
I tried the tools git-svn and svn2git, but both failed to transform the repo.
Apperantly cause codeplex is not using a 100% standard svn.
I'm willing to bet it has to do with TeamFoundation being the repository used by CodePlex (Microsoft) here. I have to use VisualSVN in Visual Studio to use SVN, and I can't imagine Microsoft, which sells TF through upgrades to VS, is too keen on making their product work on less expensive alternatives. Which is an odd thing, especially if you see this, which reads:
You can use Visual Studio and Git to collaborate with your team using Team Foundation Server (on-premises or in the cloud), on CodePlex, or on a third-party service such as GitHub or Bitbucket.
Moving to a more functional GIT-based repository is a great idea, and there are lots of places to do so.

pat
:)
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Hear ye, hear ye! Git would be absolutely positively super duper awesome. I'm currently using this library for a client, where we use Git. I have a couple of bug fixes and improvements that I'd like to share, but the action of actually sharing is too cumbersome with traditional VCs. Fork and pull requests would be really nice.
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Please move this project to GitHub. While I like CodePlex's release functionality GitHub is a much better platform for collaboration. I am actively using this library at work and I cannot tell you how many times I would have liked to submit a pull-request however CodePlex is an old, cumbersome hosting platform and I'd rather not deal with it. Even Microsoft is beginning to migrate their open source projects over to GitHub (just look at .NET Core).