This project is read-only.

perform su command

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I am in need of the ability to perform a couple commands as root.  Has anyone been able to successfully execute the su command with the Renci Libs?

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM

If someone could please help me out here.  This has brought my project to a complete halt.  I have been very happy with this library until I ran into this.  I don't want to have to take the plink route again to do this.  I prefer to keep this native.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Hi, One idea would be to use shellstream. You will find a lot of examples here : http://sshnet.codeplex.com/discussions/301739

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Thanks man, it took a little while to iron out the code to do what I needed but I managed to get this to work.  Thanks so much for your recommendation.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hey Vstdev, would you mind posting how you got it working? I tried most of those shellstream examples but couldn't get it working.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Here ya go.  This was my approach.

public SSH (string address, string login, string password, string rootPassword)
        {
            try
            {
                this.login = login;
                this.password = password;
                var connectInfo = new KeyboardInteractiveConnectionInfo(address, login);
                connectInfo.AuthenticationPrompt += new EventHandler<Renci.SshNet.Common.AuthenticationPromptEventArgs>(connectInfo_AuthenticationPrompt);
                sshClient = new SshClient(connectInfo);

sshClient.Connect();

KeyValuePair<Renci.SshNet.Common.TerminalModes, uint> termkvp = new KeyValuePair<Renci.SshNet.Common.TerminalModes, uint>(Renci.SshNet.Common.TerminalModes.ECHO, 53);

shellStream = sshClient.CreateShellStream("xterm", 80,24, 800, 600, 1024, termkvp);

//Get System garb
                var rep = shellStream.Expect("$");

shellStream.WriteLine("/usr/bin/su");
                rep = shellStream.Expect(":");

shellStream.WriteLine(rootPassword);
                rep = shellStream.Expect(new Regex(@"[$#]")); //look for either a root prompt or $ prompt
                if (rep.Contains("Sorry")) //got the sorry message error out.
                {
                    throw new Exception("Unable to achieve root level access.");
                }

rep = shellStream.Expect("#"); // get the prompt.

}//try to open connection
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                throw ex;
            }

}

Here is the delegate if you need that as well.

void connectInfo_AuthenticationPrompt(object sender, Renci.SshNet.Common.AuthenticationPromptEventArgs e)
        {
            foreach (var prompt in e.Prompts)
            {
                if (prompt.Request.Contains("Password"))
                    prompt.Response = password;
            }

}

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Thanks Vstdev! - It must have been the ExpectAction code I was using because this worked perfectly.

Cheers!