Could 64bit binaries be provided? (3.5)

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Hi,

This is exactly what I need to manage Cisco ASA and 3Par SAN using CLI. The thing is server infrastructures are now almost exclusively 64bit, rendering this unusable at the moment (I don't have access to VS in my new job or I would compile it myself).

As this is for use in Powershell 64bit binaries for FW 3.5 would be an huge asset not just for me but also all the other system admins out there trying to find a viable Powershell SSH solution.

Thanks

Jase

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Did you try to use current assembly in 64 bit ?

Cause I run my machine and code on 64 bit and assemblies compiled to work on "Any CPU" so I assume it should work,

Let me know if there are specific configuration you need for that?

Thanks,

Oleg

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hi Oleg,

yeah, I did try, the LoadFrom method throws an exception...

with the command "[void][reflection.assembly]::LoadFrom((resolve-Path ".\Renci.SshNet.dll"))" in 64bit you get the exception

Exception calling "LoadFrom" with "1" argument(s): "Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\data\Scripts\SSH\Renci.
SshNet.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)"
At line:1 char:38
+ [void][reflection.assembly]::LoadFrom <<<< ((resolve-Path ".\Renci.SshNet.dll"))
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

however, on the same host it loads fine in 32bit powershell. Unfortunately we don't have the option for running the 32bit powershell on the servers for this.

I would think a compile for 3.5 with x64 as the CPU target would be fine.

thanks

Jase

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Hi,

Please try this file and let me know if it works. 64bit

Thanks,

Oleg

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thanks Oleg,

Amazingly quick response. It looks like there is something bigger causing my fault. Thanks for your efforts... I'll post back when I've got to the bottom of it.

Jase

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

ok, no problem,

Yea, let me know.

Thanks,

Oleg

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Thanks Oleg,

you were right, it runs fine with the original binary now.

My problem was down to a Powershell.exe.config file that was trying to allow .net 4 assemblies. Removing the file allows your combined DLL to load.

Thanks Again.

Jase