This project is read-only.

License issues GNU vs BSD

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The license listed on the codeplex project site is the BSD license, but the source code often has the GNU Public License (for example, Common/ASCIIEncoding.cs.

Please update the license in the code to match the license on the site, if you own the copyright. If you have used code from an existing GNU library code-base, you should probably change the license on the codeplex site the match GNU, or else re-implement that functionality yourself so you can release it under the BSD.

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM

FYI, the GNU license is not allowed in the windows phone 7 marketplace (or, coincidentally, on XBox Live Indie Games, not that I imagine much use of this library on XBLIG titles). Because some source files are labeled GNU, we sort of have to assume the entire library is GNU, so it would be great if this was addressed. I suspect when Windows 8 comes out, GNU won't be allowed on there either. Microsoft policy not withstanding, it's impossible to comply with the source code provision of the license in most software distribution channels anyway.

Edit: turned into issues item:

http://sshnet.codeplex.com/workitem/830

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Yea,

I know about this issue and someone else already mentioned it to me and gave a suggestion to replace it with UTF8.

So I guess I will do that then, run my tests to make sure everything works and will remove this class from the project all together.

I dont know license differnces so much so I guess I just overlooked that issue.

Thanks,

Oleg